Freedom Of The Press

I hate ironing. I think I should just come out and say it. Ironing is the WORST part about sewing for me. But, I do notice a difference in the quality of my work when it has a good press to it, and so I muddle through. Up to now, I have done all of my ironing on this bad boy
DSC_1101
You see, this is completely without finesse. It has lumps and bumps in all the wrong places. And I am seriously starting to fear that it is going to make whatever I am pressing equally disgusting unglamorous.

So, inspired by this lovely lady, I set out to make myself a new pressing surface. That ugly old ironing board never fit well onto it’s allotted space anyway. First, I measured. My ironing space is the top of my dryer. I have a dryer with the lint trap on the top, so I measured the width and then the depth from the edge of the lint trap. It was 26″ x 16″. I found a scrap piece of 1/2″ thick plywood at home depot for about $5 and had my dear Mr. Fox trim it down for me. I do love my fantastic Mr. Fox ;) Then, I gathered up my supplies. You are going to need:
Plywood
Staple Gun (with Staples!)
Batting Scraps (Enough for 2 layers)
1/2 Yard of Quilting Cotton
Tutorial For Pressing Board

Once the wood is trimmed, you are going to want to trim your batting scraps roughly to size. I had to use two narrow pieces to make up one of the layers. It works great, just don’t overlap, make sure they are flush laying next to each other.
DSC_1092
Then, layer the quilting fabric on the top, smooth it out, and flip the whole shebang over. I made sure that the batting came right up the edge of the plywood on the first side, rolled the edge of the fabric over and started stapling. When I came to a corner, I pulled the batting tight and trimmed pretty close to the edge.
DSC_1093
Then, I folded it like I was wrapping a present with no raw edges and stapled it down.
DSC_1094
Then, pulling the batting tight around the edge, I trimmed off the excess (so none would get stapled to the bottom of the pressing mat and cause lumps). Then, I resumed my fold over and staple.
DSC_1095
At the end, I went back and pushed all of the staples that weren’t quite flush over. The whole process took me about 15 minutes and I LOVE the results.
DSC_1097

Thank you, Kelly, for the awesome idea. I am *almost* looking forward to ironing, now!
DSC_1100

This entry was posted in Tutorial. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Freedom Of The Press

1. 1
    sukie says:

lol I hate ironing too. . . and my board has some pretty fabric on it. . .and it looks kind of gross too. I should wash it and see if looks better.

2. 2

I am totally with ya on the ironing. I hate ironing for sewing projects. I hate ironing my own clothes. If I see a dress I like but it looks like it would wrinkle easily, I refuse to buy it.

3. 3
    Tiffany says:

That is a great idea and super cute finish. I HATE ironing too… maybe that is what I like pre-cuts so much, no cutting and no ironing. Just design and sew! :)

4. 4

Your new ironing board is so much prettier!

5. 5
    Katy says:

Oh I totally hate ironing too, I NEVER iron my clothes, nope, nothing, I buy things I can grab out of the dryer or off hte pully, give a quick shake to and wear. However, since being bitten rather badly by the clothing sewing bug recently, I’ve bought myself a whole new iron and ironing board (the old ones, which I really just had for show, were absorbed into the flatmate’s room, and I’m sure are beyond revolting now!). I was at my mum and dad’s last weekend though, and trying to get something sewn, when i found myself coveting my mother’s ironing board, which was bigger than mine – argh! Had to go and lie down in a darkened room immediately…

6. 6
    Katy says:

Would it be better to use insulbright? or might that heat up too much?

7. 7
    prsd4tim2 says:

Oh, cute! MUCH better. I like it even better than Grandma’s curtains, and it’s certainly much better than the old ironing board. Nicely done! Now if the mending were just that satisfying!

8. 8
    andrea says:

I love your new table .. the last picture is great

9. 9
    Ashley says:

Love the new ironing board! I think I may do something similar. I have almost the same one you have just a slightly different fabric. i loathe ironing but will do it if I have to and my board has damaged some of my fabric. :-0 So the old one must go…hope to make my new one soon!

10. 10
    Georgia says:

Great job Amanda! It would almost make ironing a pleasure…almost. ;-P

11. 11

Cute Cute!! I actually don’t mind ironing. Is your iron cordless?? Now THAT would be awesome!

12. 12
    Alexis says:

re-covering my mini ironin board has been on my to do list for yonks – thanks for the kick up the proverbial to get it done!!

13. 13
    Ali says:

Too, too, too cute! That is such a great idea to iron right at the dryer.

14. 14
    kim says:

I am a professional seamstress. Pressing is the most important part of sewing. I finely pressed seem means a fine finished product. I have two manglers/presses and two cordless irons. I love them all. Now personal ironing I do in front of the TV. It is my one excuses to stop and watch a movie. So when the pieces add up, I do all my ironing at once. I like your board, but I would need the curved end for shoulders, etc.

15. 15
    Dawn caines says:

Well done that was a great job !!

16. 16
    trish says:

Oh wow! This is awesome! Cute and clever!!
    Thanks for taking the time to show us how.
    Sincerely, Trish