I hate ironing. I think I should just come out and say it. Ironing is the WORST part about sewing for me. But, I do notice a difference in the quality of my work when it has a good press to it, and so I muddle through. Up to now, I have done all of my ironing on this bad boy
You see, this is completely without finesse. It has lumps and bumps in all the wrong places. And I am seriously starting to fear that it is going to make whatever I am pressing equally
So, inspired by this lovely lady, I set out to make myself a new pressing surface. That ugly old ironing board never fit well onto it’s allotted space anyway. First, I measured. My ironing space is the top of my dryer. I have a dryer with the lint trap on the top, so I measured the width and then the depth from the edge of the lint trap. It was 26″ x 16″. I found a scrap piece of 1/2″ thick plywood at home depot for about $5 and had my dear Mr. Fox trim it down for me. I do love my fantastic Mr. Fox 😉 Then, I gathered up my supplies. You are going to need:
Staple Gun (with Staples!)
Batting Scraps (Enough for 2 layers)
1/2 Yard of Quilting Cotton
Once the wood is trimmed, you are going to want to trim your batting scraps roughly to size. I had to use two narrow pieces to make up one of the layers. It works great, just don’t overlap, make sure they are flush laying next to each other.
Then, layer the quilting fabric on the top, smooth it out, and flip the whole shebang over. I made sure that the batting came right up the edge of the plywood on the first side, rolled the edge of the fabric over and started stapling. When I came to a corner, I pulled the batting tight and trimmed pretty close to the edge.
Then, I folded it like I was wrapping a present with no raw edges and stapled it down.
Then, pulling the batting tight around the edge, I trimmed off the excess (so none would get stapled to the bottom of the pressing mat and cause lumps). Then, I resumed my fold over and staple.
At the end, I went back and pushed all of the staples that weren’t quite flush over. The whole process took me about 15 minutes and I LOVE the results.
Thank you, Kelly, for the awesome idea. I am *almost* looking forward to ironing, now!
*some links are affiliate meaning I make a small commission if you click them. Thank you for supporting my blog!