Another Weekender

It seems like blogging has taken a bit of a backseat to actually sewing lately. I really love to sew. It is FUN to make things. Sometimes the pressure of a deadline is just the motivation I need. But there are times that the deadline overwhelms me and I struggle to come up with something good enough!
Weekender Front Panel
So, for what may be my last swap for a little while, I made this little weekender for a sweet friend of mine. I really admire Monica and she had asked for red, yellow, and aqua, text, and matryoshka dolls. And I found this fabric online. It served as both my focus fabric and also my color palette.
Weekender Back Panel

There was a lot of tiny piecing in this bag and I am really happy with how it all turned out. I chose to use really traditional blocks like flying geese, pinwheels, log cabins and snowballs in bright modern colors. I felt like that was a bit of a tribute to Monica’s amazing traditional roots.

It was by far the hardest weekender I have put together. (You can see my first one here) It is my third. Perhaps I was feeling a little over confident after the ease with which the second one went together (I must never have blogged it! Yikes!) but this broke many needles and small children had to be removed from the room.
Side Pocket
As I usually do, I pieced the small side pockets. I feel like this is what pulls the bag together.
Bee Pocket
And I couldn’t resist this little bee. I can’t really wait for the Heather Ross yardage to be released next month!!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Another Weekender

1. 1

This is beautiful, Amanda!!! Great job! And love “small children had to be removed from the room.” :P

2. 2
    Deborah says:

You are amazing – this is such a wonderful weekender :-)

3. 3
    Mary Ann says:

Wonderful bag! I hope to have the nerve to undertake this project one day!

4. 4

This is the by far my favorite Weekender bag of all the ones I’ve seen out in blogland. I love the fabrics and the way you pieced all of the pieces. Well done!!!

5. 5

This is amazing!! I absolutely love it, the little bee, the matryoshkas..so lovely!!!! Great job, through all the sweat and tears, it turned out to be awesome!

6. 6
    Debbie says:

SO nicely done! Just really fun and lovely!

7. 7
    Anita says:

I love it! Great fabric choices and it’s beautifully done. Yes, I know how you feel when “small children have to be removed from the room.” That’s been happening around my sewing machine lately too.

8. 8
    CathyK says:

This is just beautiful, Amanda!! Whoever receives this is going to be one happy gal!!!!

9. 9
    Julianna says:

I love your Weekender! It’s so bright and lovely.

10. 10
    Jennifer says:

It’s such a beautiful bag!!! I’ve already been tempted by the weekender and this might take me over the top! Love all your piecing! It’s what makes it so awesome!

11. 11
    Alli says:

Your bag is so awesome! I love it! :)

12. 12
    Jenny says:

Oh my gosh, I love every single thing about this.

13. 13

My word, Amanda, this is gorgeous! That bee star block on the side is my favorite part. :)

14. 14
    Gina says:

Gorgeous bag Amanda!! I have loved all of the Weekenders you have made; makes me want to make one :)

15. 15

last swap for awhile? That’s sad! You did amazing on this bag Amanda!

16. 16
  17. 17
    Erica says:

Oh this is so sweet! I love that bee on the side pocket, it’s perfect :)

18. 18
    Jayne says:

Love this bag! I’m afraid children in the entire neighborhood would have to be removed if I attempted this! This takes some mad skills…I am so jealous! Marking my calendar for Heather Ross!

19. 19
    Dawn says:

I’m not sure what to say…..so, maybe WOW is in order. Everything about this bag is gorgeous! Great job!

20. 20

She is going to love it. I think this is one of my favorite weekender bag ever!!! Love it, divine.

21. 21
    kathy h says:

What a beautiful bag! you put so many wonderful fabrics and details into it.

22. 22
    M says:

So cute!!!! Aww I love it a lot!:) you are amazing:D

23. 23
    Carrie says:

Your bag is awesome! It’s my favorite I’ve ever seen! One of these days I’m gonna get courageous and try making myself one. Great job!
    Carrie